missali
2008-09-20T13:01:04Z
At present I have a Stuart Turner Sole' Inboard engine that has been playing me up for some time now and it is time therefore to look for a new engine. Can any of you good people out there advise me on what to buy? I like the looks of the Yanmar 9 horse but I think 13 horses would be better. What about the new Stuart Turner or the Vetus and of course I mustn't forget the Beta? I would be very grateful for any advice.
Chris Turner
2008-09-20T16:00:22Z
I re-engined Elsa (26 103) with a 13 HP Lombardini. Twin cylinder (so smoother)and fresh water cooled. A bit heavier than the Yanmar 10 .. but not much ... though most have re-engined with the Yanmar, I think.
Fairly tight squeeze but OK. Has worked well for several years.
Chris.
peter lowry
2008-09-22T17:59:27Z
Hi
My 26 "CLEO" has an Yanmar gm 7.5 hp which was fitted new in 1982 , the engine still runs beautifully and starts almost first time every time except for a few times when she has been left for a few more weeks than normal.
I often think that with its age she will need to be re-engined at some point in the not too distant future.
the yanmar gm10 is a great engine however it is a single cylinder and the beta and "Elsa's" Lombardini are twins so much quieter and modern
i have looked at several at the boat show and there are a few good deals to be had!!

Have a look at the Beta and Nanni, they can supply adjustable mounts to fit mose replacements and are basically the same engine. i have been quoted boatshow prices for basic engine of approx £2400.but nothing i writing !!!!

good luck
i would be interested to see what you go with
Peter Lowry
CLE0 ss26
missali
2008-09-23T17:43:18Z
Thank you for your advice Chris & Peter. Have either of you considered the HMI Sole' Diesel?
Chris Turner
2008-09-23T18:35:32Z
Havn't any experiece of the Sole. The only reason for my Lombardini (apart from twin and fresh water cooled) was that my 'yard' offered a good deal and they were the registered dealers. To some extent you have to go on what the local guys know about if you are not going to fit it yourself.
Without knowing much about it, now that the tax will be equal for petrol and diesel, a petrol engine, if you can ignore the explosive side, seems a reasonable bet ... Stuart Turner still do one? Smooth and quiet I think. I don't envy your choice problem!! Chris.
Mike Edwards
2008-09-26T20:28:47Z
don't be dishartened with the diesel tax business it has not happened yet and I bet you will always be able to find a cheap source of deregulated fuel out there somewhere.
Get a decent diesel engine.
I fitted a Beta 20 into Aztec and get about 3 hours per gallon at normal cruising speed

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"