mike pollard
2007-01-07T20:33:27Z
I like to do a bit of handicap racing round the cans with my local club.
My crew & I are experienced racers trying to obtain more boat speed by tuning etc.
We race under PYA handicap as suggested by SSA. Without throwing out all surplus weight etc. has anyone got any tips or experience they would like to share?

Mpollard
Mpollard
kate.hattersley
2007-02-01T15:17:12Z
Hi Mike, I race my 275 Beeline out of Topsham and our fleet currently includes 2 super seal 26s with modified mainsails, one Parker 27 Hiva Oa and my boat. We all race off 986 at present due to my foolishly sending the Seal Association recommended PN to the handicap committee. This has proved impossible to live up to in my boat which seems to perform closer to 1010 to 1020. I am sailing as many handicap races as possible to try to establich a proper PN. I am intending to sail the Dartmouth Regatta and will also be in Cornwall around the time of Falmouth Week this year, though maybe cruising not racing. Maybe we can have a contest! I race with a carbon fibre spinnaker pole which has been a fantastic investment for my crew of elderly sailors and pretty teenagers. Also we have single line reefing on the main so can put in one or two reefs when it gets above 25 knots. Teenagers stay at home those days! We roll the genoa down when we reef the main. I would like a blade jib one day soon. I tend to sail the boat flattish like a dinghy and do lots of tweaking for mainsail shape. We use lots of kicker and play the traveller on windy days. We also do up and let off the backstay quite a lot. I'm not winning so maybe you should ignore this until I have beaten somebody! Interested to hear your ideas, Kate
Kate
mike pollard
2007-02-04T18:51:29Z
Hi Kate,
Thanks for your reply. Like you I race in my local Mylor yacht club Friday night series. I race in the fast handicap fleet under PY handicap. The class is a real mixed bag with nothing to compare with. The fastest yacht in the fleet is a Sigma 362.
I have this desire to generate more boat speed but remain within class rules. We have a new 2 Blade folding prop and a performance Hyde Genoa plus a rigid vang on the boom. We are also having a cunningham eye fitted to the fully battened main to allow better main sail shape on all points. We also have a large light weight spinnaker with heavy pole. Also I have an unused blade jib which has its own inboard track to allow a better sheeting angle.

Like you I like to wind up the back stay when beating to windward.
All things considered, having owned a variety of yachts the Parker 275 is a very good under stated yacht, with excellent windward performance. Having only acquired her last year I am still learning how to get the best from her.

When I posted my topic I expected some replies like, rig variations eg. loose footed mains, Keel position on various points around the course, weight sensitivity etc. all within yhe spirit of one design class.
Finally like you I wonder who in the fleet can sail to the suggested handicap. Does the Super Seal 26 have the same rig ? Who is the Ben Ainsley of the class ?
PS I also do and enjoy cruising.

Mpollard
Mpollard