frank_marsden
2004-11-17T16:16:00Z
I am a new Seal owner and SSA member. My boat is 24 years old, and clearly has been sailed seriously in the past.

Despite this, there are a considerable number of both domestic and sailing improvements that could readily be made, and a repair or two that are necessary, e.g. worn gooseneck.

The forum is a good place to get information and swop experience.

Having recently owned a Trapper 500 which has an "association" which is not formally constituted and with no organisation, but has a very active and informative forum, I am most dissapointed in the use of the SSA forum;I am, therefore, reluctant to ask for information as I would expect no answers.

Frank Marsden. Superseal 26/84 'Mano Amica'

Frank Marsden

Ken Surplice
2004-11-17T16:17:00Z
Hi Frank, I am sympathetic to your comments. Don, our webmaster and publicity officer is always urging everyone he meets to visit this forum and make contributions. The site overall does get many visits but the bulletin board seems to have peaks and troughs of activity. I do know that not so many of our membership are internet enabled, and of those who are, not all have the confidence to make posts here.

I have a few suggestions that may help connect you to the information you may be looking for or looking to share:

1)The committee will make a special plea at the next AGM, which is next year

2)In the meantime, I will do some gentle persuading of the members I continue to meet at rallies during the season (just back from a week afloat 🙂 )

3)If you do post any questions or experiences here, I will mention them to members I meet during rallies to see if we can get some momentum going. There are plenty of Seal 26 yachts around this year!

In the meantime, don't be shy and keep in mind that some folks get contacted by phone in response to questions they post. It is a matter of personal preference.

Cheers-Ken

Vol-au-vent Parker 275

Ken Surplice

Ken
frank_marsden
2004-11-17T16:17:00Z
Ken,

Met the group at Weymouth last week, but I didn't get everyone's names, and was preoccupied sorting out a mooring.

My questions about the Superseal are:-

Is there a recognised gas bottle locker aft of the port cockpit locker? My boat has an empty space behind the locker.

The cockpit has little/no provision for small items needing ready access, e.g. binoculars, knife, hand held GPS/VHF etc. hence the next two items.

Noted that Peter's boat, Cleo, has a cover for the outboard tank, anybody fitted a lazarette in this place?

Are cave lokers fitted to any boats in the cockpit?

I am using and intend to keep, the centre mainsheet system; I think this needs a powerful kicker, there is barely enouugh room to get to 8:1 by casading blocks, any experience with this?

The 4:1 mainsheet blocks hoop-to-boom go block-bound on fully sheeting the main, is this normal?

The forward mainsheet block on the boom twists and has worn and cracked the plastic outer, how do I fix this, i.e. stop the block twisting?

Boom is low, is this normal?

The coachroof pads for rope clutches are too small to take my desired number (three port six starboard).

I find the cabin table not user friendly, what other arrangements work better?

Insufficient storage for wet foul weather gear.

Do any fixed keel boats have a door on the heads?

I am happy to make changes, but my strong preference is to do this in a recognised or fully reversible way.

Please don't think I am dissatisfied with the boat, it is superb, and only needs a little detail attention.

My next time planned to be in the Solent is before/after the Round the Island, June 26th, and I intend to go on the Hamble visitor's piles.

Frank Marsden

01788 890648

Frank Marsden

Ken Surplice
2004-11-17T16:18:00Z
Frank, it's you! I had not connected our meeting in Weymouth with your name. I already heard earlier to expect you in the Hamble shortly while visiting. Maybe we can meet up again. I will discuss your questions with Peter Lowry and see who's brains we can pick. In the meantime, do you have (or know that we have) a technical handbook for the Seal 26? It is full of mods made over many years but I do not know how relevant it is for your specific questions. Again, I can ask Peter.

Cheers!

Ken

ken surplice

Ken