Ken Surplice
2004-11-11T16:39:00Z
First posted: 05/09/1998 21:29:37

Hi All - One of the nice things about the net is that it makes it easier to ask potentially daft questions. So here goes... The catches that secure my outboard fairing plate, at the bottom of the engine well, were not holding the plate very firmly. This resulted in clunking anytime any swell was encoutered. So I took the plate out to adjust it. Before I got to adjust the bolts, I noticed that the fairing plate could do with a lick of paint.

Since I have managed to avoid anti-fouling any of my boats over the years, (they all live on trailers) I am not sure if the plate is anti-fouled. When I scrape the thick flaky white paint on it, it leaves a firm black base. Is this a sign that is anti-fouled? The previous owner 'dry sailed' her so I can't guess what he would have applied.

Thanks for any advice - Ken P21/67 Saffie

Ken Surplice
Ken
Don Harvey
2004-11-11T16:40:00Z
First posted: 10/09/1998 21:12:45

Dear Ken

All I can say is that when I had my 21 the fairing plate was white and had never been antifouled. I think you've scraped off the gel coat!!

By the way, if you ever think of racing your 21 and take out your engine to reduce drag, I have a complete, i.e. no hole, fairing plate that you can have.

Regards

Don Harvey

Don Harvey
Regards
Don Harvey
Ken Surplice
2004-11-11T16:40:00Z
First posted: 01/04/1999 21:01:39

Hi All,

Problem solved! The fairing is definitely wood. The black stuff is simply paint primer, albeit rather thick. I'll detail Sue to scrape and paint it!

Don - thanks for the offer of a blank fairing for racing. I can't see us ever racing Saffie, except to make up numbers 🙂. The current 9.9 engine and three bladed prop must present quite a drag, but this is probably small compared to the dinghy we tow! We need the dinghy to launch anyway, but thanks again for the offer.

Cheers - Ken

Ken Surplice
Ken