Neil Sinclair
2005-10-20T14:43:00Z
Well, here we are again, at the wrong end of the season. Andiamo is un-rigged, waiting for the crane to lift her ashore. I have a long list of jobs to do, one of which comes as a bit of a surprise as follows.

I noticed that the coachroof just behind the mast was collecting a bit of a puddle. A quick glance across showed that the deck has indeed bowed inwards, indicating that the structure under the mast step has collapsed. Going below, The stainless steel strut underneath the mast step has also ploughed a short furrow down the face of the bulkhead, but the bulkhead itself appears to be OK. I have been renewing the rigging one or two wires a season, but I didn't think I was overtightening the bottle screws. I keep the wires just tight enough to stop the lee rigging from going slack, this requires a bit more than just hand-tight on the bottle screws. I keep the mast in the 'one forward from fully aft' position.

I guess the quick solution is to move the mast forward until it's load is taken entirely by the bulkhead. I have spent some time tuning the rig to my taste however, and would prefer to provide some bracing under the coachroof to stop the collapse. Have any other Seal 28-ers been down this path?

Cheers! Neil

Neil Sinclair

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

2005-10-20T16:28:00Z
I noticed the same problem behind the mast. I bought Bumblebee this year and kept the mast in the most forward position and it looked as if it had always been there. Inside the cabin I haven´t yet found anything wrong, but I´ll have a sharp look this evening.

Gerold

Gerold Wallenstein

Gerold
Mike Edwards
2005-10-26T19:26:00Z
Hello Neil

Same dip in Aztec's deck but no sign of the strut slipping as you mention.

I have a 2x4 inch timber attached to the bulkhead. The centre of the mast is above the aft face of this timber.

Is your mast pivoted at the rear onto a T plate. If so if your mast was stressed to rake forward, couldnt this cause extra stress in the strut.

Mike Edwards

Mike Edwards

Seal 28 "Aztec"

Neil Sinclair
2005-10-31T15:00:00Z
Hi Mike - Yes, I have the T section step. Most people seem to like the mast towards the forward end where the load passes straight down into the bulkhead - but I have gravitated the other way because I seem to have a bit of lee helm. I also have the mast raked aft a small ammount. I suppose this all contributes to directing more mast load into the strut. My strut is secured to the bulkhead by 3 x 1 inch woodscrews - so its not up to much anyway!

I am going to make a beam from alloy channel section to reinforce the flat area of deck. This will be sandwiched between the deck and the strut at the aftermost step fastenings. I will also rebate the strut flange into the bulkhead and use some much bigger screws.

Cheers for now! Neil

Neil Sinclair

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'