PaulBurton
2006-10-14T08:01:00Z
Has anyone else found the water system rubbish....?

I have the 2 forward containers....

First they are a pain to fill...either lift out and fill or hose through the forward hatch..

Second ...we found a gallon of water swimming around the bottom of the cabin after beating hard on a starboard tack. The heads sink seacock was shut and the water decieded to syphon itself empty.

These containers are above the level of the taps so are prone to syphon.

Everytime you take them out to fill them you have to remove the blue pipe......which then empties itself in your forward locker.

Has anyone changed there water system or is the other method of tank under the steps any better ??

Just seems to me to be an after thought...."oh we had better add some water where shall we put it ???"

Paul Burton 235/40 Lady penelope.
Paul Burton
Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2006-10-23T17:47:00Z
Spoke to Bill yesterday and he tells me there should be a syphon loop above the water tanks that stops the water escaping...

Paul Burton 235/40 Lady Penelope.
Paul Burton
Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Don Harvey
2006-10-26T14:43:00Z
Paul

As I have now taken over Bill Parker's web site we are often in conversation on the phone. I brought your posting to his notice and I know that he rang you to discuss your concerns this past weekend.

I have seen your latest posting but I thought it wise to pen a fuller reply on behalf of Bill (with his permission) for the benefit of other owners and prospective owners.

The conversation went like this....

'The water tanks were moved forward from under the steps to improve the ballast, especially for people who carry heavy engines and plenty of fuel.

To reduce the possibility of water sloshing out of the tank in use, one should ensure the pipe curves as high as possible in the form of a swan neck. He also suggests that if one wishes to sail with tanks that are filled to the top that one drills a hole in the cap, sufficient to take the outlet pipe, so leaving the cap in place.

The sea water ingress was caused by the ball valves being left open. It does state in the manual that these should be closed when sailing (in fact this goes for all boats).'

I would like to add that although the Parker 325/335 have 45 gallon water tanks, we do carry two water containers under the sink for fresh drinking water. You state that when pulling the pipe out of the tank when changing over, that water flows out of it into the compartment. I had the same problem until I realised that before pulling the pipe completely out of the tank, I lift it clear of the remaining water then pump the handpump to clear the pipe. Problem solved.

Best regards

Don

Don Harvey
Regards
Don Harvey
PaulBurton
2006-10-26T15:22:00Z
Thanks for the reply.....thats about the conversation I had with Bill..

We did not have sea water coming in....the sea cock WAS shut..Because the sea cock was shut the water tank syphoned its self out of the tap into the sink and filled it.....with the sea cock shut we had a very wet cabin floor..

Hopefully this swan neck will cure the problem...

Paul Burton 235/40 Lady P.
Paul Burton
Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
James Hamilton
2006-10-30T20:21:00Z
We have the two can system but prefer it to the tank under the steps as that is where we stow the dinghy.

We keep the two cans in one of those square plastic storage/stacking boxes to catch the drips, and make a point of screwing the caps on before sailing (having filled the kettle).

Generally we do not have the hand basin tank connected, we also carry a third can as spare.

I have thought that what is wanted is something like a wine / beer dispenser tap in the top that screws into the tank/can and can be turned off while sailing, but haven't yet found a suitable can.

Although certainly basic, we have found the system servicable.

Jim and Margaret (Sandy Lady)

James Hamilton