Stephen Godber
2006-10-30T15:19:00Z
I need to buy an inflatable tender for my new 235, currently in production. As we are are on a swinging mooring in Tobermory the tender will be used each time to access the boat, so I want to carry 4 people and will probably have a 5HP engine. BUT I also want to tow it for shore trips / emergencies so is there less drag with a rib, or an air floor, or a V floor, or whatever? It will rarely be deflated so I need to balance durability with ease of towing behind my 235. Any advice welcome - prices range hugely from Avon to Seago......thanks!
Stephen Godber
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
PaulBurton
2006-10-30T18:12:00Z
Don't know that much about them....but it will need to be quite big to hold 4 and a 5hp.....I would think you will be looking at a RIB...
Would think a RIB would tow best...but won't you need to take the engine off ? where will you stow that? A 5hp is a bit big to stow forward ....? would a 5hp stow in the external locker..I keep a 2.5hp in there..

Hope I have been of some help....!!!!!

Paul Burton 235/40 Lady P.
Paul Burton
Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Stephen Godber
2006-10-30T18:38:00Z
Thanks Paul - there are some inflatables that take 4 people whilst being under 10' - I intend to tilt the outboard and leave it on...unless this combination is too heavy to allow progress!
Stephen Godber
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Graeme
2006-10-30T22:32:00Z
I recently took ownership of hull no 22 "Gentoo", now based on the River Forth at South Queensferry. I bought a 2.6M Seago dinghy good for 3 adults and 1 child with a 2.3HP outboard. I tow the dinghy and have mounted the outboard on the pushpit rail. The light outboard makes it easy to transfer between yacht and dinghy. I'd be nervous of towing dinghy with the outboard on in case of capsize.

Graeme
Graeme Parker
Stephen Godber
2006-10-31T11:06:00Z
Thanks Graeme - and what a nice boat Gentoo is - I missed that one! Take your point ref: engine on-board, which is why I wondered if a heavier rib would be better, unless the weight is too much to tow?
Stephen Godber
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
David Pocock
2006-11-01T20:34:00Z
I have a Yamaha 280 STI and it tows behind my current Hunter 490 with no problem at all. Lovely solid and stable tender. However, it is a bit heavy to handle off the water and I am looking for the lightest and smallest inflatable I can find to carry aboard my 235 for occasional use.

Not an inflatable, but I also have a Pioneer 8. This is apparently made out of old washing-up bowls and is absolutely unbreakable. It tows behind my little Hunter very easily, and I leave the outboard on without any worries.

David Pocock
David Pocock
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
Stephen Godber
2006-11-02T13:39:00Z
Hi David - great, I was considering the Yamaha inflatables. I also know the Pioneer, utterly indestructable, many have them here! I had a Terhi before, great but a bit 'tippy' so I've just sold it. I think I'll end up with the 340 Yam - we'll use it for access every time so it needs to be substantial-ish - and if your Hunter pulls a Pioneer ok then the 235 should manage any inflatable! Thanks!
Stephen Godber
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"