Don Harvey
2007-04-16T19:35:49Z
quote:
Are the organisers sorting moorings for Fri and Sat night ??

As it says on the Flyer at http://www.sealasc.org.uk/Docum...s/Flyers%202007/RIOW.doc  'Berthing will be arranged at Cowes, probably Shepherds Wharf, for the Friday night and doubtless we will find a suitable spot for a few beers, although there are no formal arrangements on this evening.'

If you intend to launch the day before and then go on the piles at Bucklers Hard, for an early get-away, be prepared to be asked to pay.

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Parker 325 'Calypso'

Regards

Don Harvey

PaulBurton
2007-04-21T08:23:59Z
My plan is to do the 5+hour drive down...rig, launch the boat and sail to Cowes to join you all for the Friday evening..

I have emailed the organiser to put my name down to enter !!

Will I recieve anymore details or will they be on the website ??

Will the C3 Imray chart cover all that I need ???

Sorry for all the question but...

This will be my first year of entering this race. It will also be my first time sailing on the south coast.

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Don Harvey
2007-04-21T12:45:25Z
quote:
Will I receive anymore details or will they be on the website ??

Paul - as it states in the Flyer -

quote:
....we will send you the entry forms with further details of times, venues etc

The C3 chart should suffice - but I'm sure Walter will provide advice on such things (and what to avoid) when he contacts entrants.

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Parker 325 'Calypso'

Regards

Don Harvey

PaulBurton
2007-04-26T17:34:24Z
Had all my stuff through....

We have declined the saturday evening meal....chips and a pint is more mine and my crews style.

Can anyone give me any advise for the moorings at Bembridge ???

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Don Harvey
2007-04-27T11:54:49Z
Paul

I suggest you get a copy of Reeds Channel Almanac or the PBO Small Boat Almanac which will give you details of Bembridge and its entry.

Anyway - here is a picture of the harbour. The walk-ashore visitors moorings are in the centre (the walk-ashore points north). These belong to Duver Marina. It's quite a walk into the village. Hope you can find a fish and chip shop as I don't know of one there.

UserPostedImage

The alternative 'mooring' is on the sand on the immediate left as you enter. This is where we have the Bembridge Rally - see http://www.sealasc.org.uk/Album...6/Bembridge%20rally.html 

You can see something of the entrance here UserPostedImage

The harbour is off to the left.

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Parker 325 'Calypso'

Regards

Don Harvey

PaulBurton
2007-04-27T17:05:07Z
Thanks Don...I do have an Almanac...

I was more worried about the moorings....I have seen the Parker/Seal photos and the boats were dried out on the sand..I do not carry a Kedge anchor.....I only have a single plough anchor.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Don Harvey
2007-04-27T21:46:12Z
Paul

I cannot imagine those on the RIOW race will be going on the sands. They will be too exhausted to bother (Though I may be wrong).

In any case, it would be even further to walk to the dinner (though you say you are not going to eat with the rest).

For the Bembridge rally we eat in the Bembridge Sailing Club. Also near the beach there is a pub called the Pilot Boat Inn, but as you say, you are not kitted out for beaching the boat.

I don't know where dinner has been arranged, but on the assumption that it is not the Beach Cafe, this would be an option for you. The food is quite good there (you may even buy fish and chips). To get there you walk ashore from the pontoons and strike off NE (about 10 minutes walk). The Cafe overlooks the Solent and you can see it as you approach the final narrow entrance to the harbour.

Centre of this picture.

UserPostedImage

By the way - note the channel into the harbour.

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Parker 325 'Calypso'

Regards

Don Harvey