Simon Quantrill
2022-07-13T22:06:43Z
Hi,

Kerenza needs new furling gear for the genoa. A Furlex sized to suit my Parker 325 is being recommended by my local rigging company. If any one else has recently 'invested' in a new system and has any views or recommendations to offer these would be much appreciated, including any costings. Many thanks.

PeterDann
2022-07-14T08:00:17Z
Hi Simon

I got a Selden (Furlex) system with new standing rigging last year and haven't regretted it. I mainly sail singlehanded and can't afford the risk of furling gear problems so it was between that and Harken; the correct sized Selden unit (204) worked out slightly cheaper than the Harken. That said, 'invest' is the right word - it's over £2,000 but does include all the bits including a new forestay. It was a little stiff to furl at first but a few weeks' use and it is easy to furl and - more importantly - very solid with no obvious possibility of the line jamming. A good investment I'd say: the original Z Spars unit looked a bit under spec for the size of boat and the small drum made it very hard to furl in a decent breeze.

Hope that helps

Peter

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

MartinH
2022-07-14T09:12:12Z
I agree that the Furlex is a good unit and I would not recommend any of the cheaper units.

Having said that, we have a Harken roller and although it was painfully expensive it is the best I have used by some distance.

Simon Quantrill
2022-07-14T10:10:50Z
Originally Posted by: PeterDann 

Hi Simon

I got a Selden (Furlex) system with new standing rigging last year and haven't regretted it. I mainly sail singlehanded and can't afford the risk of furling gear problems so it was between that and Harken; the correct sized Selden unit (204) worked out slightly cheaper than the Harken. That said, 'invest' is the right word - it's over £2,000 but does include all the bits including a new forestay. It was a little stiff to furl at first but a few weeks' use and it is easy to furl and - more importantly - very solid with no obvious possibility of the line jamming. A good investment I'd say: the original Z Spars unit looked a bit under spec for the size of boat and the small drum made it very hard to furl in a decent breeze.

Hope that helps

Peter

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply; very helpful. May I ask if you fitted the Furlex yourself?

Regards,

Simon

PeterDann
2022-07-14T11:06:46Z
Hi Simon, no, it needs the forestay cut to size and new fittings, so I left that to the professionals - specifically Barry Locke (Barry's Rigging in Emsworth) who provided new standing rigging and much else besides.
Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Simon Quantrill
2022-07-14T12:28:20Z
Originally Posted by: PeterDann 

Hi Simon, no, it needs the forestay cut to size and new fittings, so I left that to the professionals - specifically Barry Locke (Barry's Rigging in Emsworth) who provided new standing rigging and much else besides.

Thanks Peter.

BillPeach
2022-07-14T14:44:15Z
I had a Profurl C310 fitted at the beginning of the year by SL yachting in Chichester, about £1500 fitted

Not had any problems with it yet, but then its not been but under too much stress

Definitely easier than the original furler because of the bigger furling drum

Bill Peach

'Kalandia' Parker 325

Moored: Lymington River

Simon Quantrill
2022-07-14T19:00:48Z
Originally Posted by: BillPeach 

I had a Profurl C310 fitted at the beginning of the year by SL yachting in Chichester, about £1500 fitted

Not had any problems with it yet, but then its not been but under too much stress

Definitely easier than the original furler because of the bigger furling drum

Hi Bill,

Thanks; very interesting option which I am going to explore with my rigging company. Much appreicated.

Regards,

Simon