DirkB
  • DirkB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2023-07-20T11:58:36Z
Yesterday I used the spinaker for the first time, with help of two friends. I think this spinaker has hardly been used by the previous owner.

Surprise is equipped with a spinaker pole of 10cm in diameter.

I read Peter Dann’s blog of his “around the UK” voyage, and one of the photos suggest a more slender spinaker pole, but that may be a distorted view from the wide angle camera. What diameter spinaker pole is advised for the 325/335?

NB I also have a thinner and shorter pole to pole out the genua.

IMG_5367 groot.jpeg

Click to View Image5 View(s)

IMG_5366 groot.jpeg

IMG_5368 groot.jpeg

MartinH
2023-07-20T19:46:23Z
That's a fine looking sail!

Our spinnaker pole is a carbon one and about 65-70mm diameter.

I highly recommend carbon if you can afford it, the light weight makes it so much easier to use.

PeterDann
2023-08-06T20:54:37Z
Sorry for such a slow reply, my presence on this topic escaped me! I would not describe my spinnaker pole as slender, it is fairly beefy but oddly at 60mm diameter smaller than Martin's sexy carbon one. However, it is, as he says, the weight not the girth that counts. I would love a carbon pole one day...
Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

jalbery
2023-08-08T13:05:48Z
Hi Dirk

It might be the perspective on the photo but your spinnaker pole looks a bit long. Normally you'd expect the spinnaker pole to be shorter than the one you'd use to pole the genoa out. It should be about the 'J' length on your rig (3.4m for a 325 from a quick google)

On my 275 I've got the medium one of these (https://www.ratseysyachtrigging.co.uk/selden-60mm-telescopic-pole)...and you can see from the figures there that in spinnaker mode it's shorter than for a genoa.

Cheers

James

Morning's Minion, Parker 275, No. 1
DirkB
  • DirkB
2023-08-08T13:52:23Z
Thank for your comment James. As I’m on Bali, far from my ‘Surprise’ I can’t measure the length of the spinnakerboom. However, I noticed it reaches some little 20-30 cm past the furled genoa when the boom is hanging horizontal in the spinnaker ring at the mast.

When sailing with wind abeam the spinnaker boom will nearly touch the forestay/furled genoa, but it has stick beyond it. At least, that’s what I thought was necessary. That’s what I used to have on my previous 6.5m dinghy (a Randmeer).

I do have a shorter, sleeker, boom (stored at the starboard side) that I thought should be used to pole out the genoa. For that purpose I considered it to be quiet short.

I may try to both in reverse use.

DirkB
  • DirkB
2023-08-27T09:24:10Z
I finally was able to measure both aluminum booms. The longest and thickest boom measures 3,45m and has a diameter of 7cm. This means it has the ‘J’ length.

The smaller boom is 2,25m long and has a diameter of 4cm.

So does this mean the longest boom is to be used to pole out the genua and the smaller boom to set the spinaker?

Martin Watson
2023-09-11T15:50:08Z
If you do any racing, I believe the Spinnacker pole must be no longer than the "J" Measurement. Same for a whisker pole. My Spinnacker pole on my P27 is a 60mm aluminium pole and my whisker pole for the Genoa is a 50mm telescopic one that I have marked with a back band at the maximum length as it can be pulled out further when not racing, although in truth unless using a 150% Genoa, I usually end up using it at shorter lengths.
Martin Watson