MartinH
  • MartinH
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2023-07-18T15:47:13Z
Does anyone have a schematic diagram for the keel hydraulic circuit? or an understanding of how the circuit works?

I have the diagram from the manual for what it is worth and details of some of the components of the system but with my very basic understanding of hydraulic systems, I can't figure out the oil flows.

Fortunately, we don't have any major problems but I suspect the pressure relief valves could do with re-setting. I thought I could do this, but having looked at the circuit in detail, I don't understand how the flow and return works nor how the electric and manual systems interconnect.

Mike Baldwin
2023-08-09T03:15:30Z
Hi Martin, I can't help I am afraid. I have no more information than the manual.

I have had an interesting experience recently. I serviced my ram last winter and replaced the bottom hose and connector.

In the past, whenever I lifted the keel up and locked it on the pin, it stayed locked on the pin even when the boat was floating, just being pushed up when aground.

Now, I have recently noticed that after a few days, despite not using the boat or altering the keel height, the keel weight is taken by the hydraulics when the boat is floating. I can't understand this. If there was a very small hydraulic leak surely the keel would remain held by the pin? Somehow it is being pressurised?! Clearly it is not much of a problem but I would be interested to receive any thoughts.

Mike

Shemar

PeterDann
2023-08-09T15:14:14Z
Hi Mike

My keel always used to lower itself slowly if I forgot to put the pin in. When I took my ram to be serviced this winter those nice people at Pirtek assured me that it would stay put for years now (as they handed me an eye-watering bill). It doesn't; after about 30 minutes the pin brackets have sunk below the cover, so it's pretty much as before.

Is yours actively rising when you leave the pin in? That does seem odd. Unless when the boat grounds at low water (assuming you're in your drying berth) it pushes the keel up above the pin, and your hydraulics are now so perfect that they hold it there. If so, I am jealous!

Peter Dann

Blue Moon 325/32

Mike Baldwin
2023-08-10T05:56:26Z
Yes, it's actively rising a few mm. I lower it into the pin and leave it. A few tides later drying out each low tide and when floating the pin is loose!

It sounds like you have a leak either in your hydraulics locker or the top connector to the ram. I guess that is the more likely place as you would see oil leaks in the locker.

I am currently in Vassiliki sailing and windsurfing with Wildwind. A bit different from Scottish waters! Very much enjoying your blogs. Keep it up!