pm22
  • pm22
  • Member Topic Starter
2022-10-11T19:24:30Z
Hello,

I have a Parker 27 with VP 2001 engine, and earlier this year the engine temperature alarm started when I was motoring at 1600rpm.

I found a damaged impellor, so I changed it and assumed all would be fine, but the next time I had to motor, the alarm came on again, at about the same engine speed.

I checked the thermostat, which seems to work OK.

Today, I had to motor for about 15 miles and it came on after about 5 minutes. I can get it to stop by reducing the engine speed. Today I tried putting it on full power, and the alarm stopped! It remained stopped for about five minutes and then came on again.

I'm not sure whether the engine is actually overheating or not - it seems hot, but I can't judge if it's too hot. I also noticed that some black liquid was coming out of the exhaust, mixed with the water, when I put the engine on full power.

Any information, tips or advice would be most welcome! In particular, where is the temperature sensor located?

Thanks, Peter

MartinH
2022-10-12T15:24:05Z
It's worth checking the cooling water flow. You should probably be getting 3-4 gallons per minute coming out of the exhaust at 1000rpm.

Don't know where the temp sender is but there are plenty of copied of the 2001 manual on the internet.

Martin

pm22
  • pm22
  • Member Topic Starter
2022-10-13T06:58:09Z
Thanks Martin.

The boat is now out of the water, so measuring the flow rate is more difficult, but I’ll try as soon as I can. There was plenty of water coming out of the exhaust previously.

I’ve looked at both the workshop manual and the owners manual and I can’t see any reference to the location of the sensor, so I’ll just have to search for it.

P