Stuart Tucker
2016-04-26T10:11:51Z
Hi all,

I'm thinking about replacing my mainsail and a short jib (roughly a No 3). It's some years since I have done this and frankly my sails are definately in their twilight years....! In fact, the jib is knackered....

I mainly cruise, sometimes do longer distances and subsequently we are sometimes out in stronger weather. We also do the occasional small club race. I'm also looking for a material with a high UV resistance (we may go south in a few years time) and something that will me give a longer life.

So I'm thinking about a heavier material, most likely a dacron, with short battens on the mainsail.

Has anyone purchased new sails for a 325/335 recently? Any recommendations for a sail maker? What cloth and weight did you choose? Any special features that you would advise on? Did you get a good deal and service?

Thanking you all in advance.

Stuart

Pegasus 325/37
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-04-26T12:20:23Z
Hello Stuart
A couple of years ago I fell in love with the set of sails Pat Morgan had on his 31(Phun) when he sailed around GB.
So last year I splashed out and replaced my well knackered genoa (Set like a pillowcase) for a Parker and Kay cruising laminates one. Wonderful sail and very good service but not cheap, although I did get discount for buying in mid year .
Speed was immediately up and pointing ability improved 10-20 degrees .
In hindsight I should have got a #3, easier to use short handed and not a lot slower, might even point higher still.
As for UV resistance etc, you should check with Parker and Kay , not a major problem in Wales at the moment.

Jan

325/32
Blue Moon
Stuart Tucker
2016-04-26T13:38:29Z
Thanks for this Jan,

Parker and Kay are on my list for an opening quote. Bill Parker, I believe, used them for all his new boats so they definately have knowledge of the 325. Sadly, they are on the East Coast with Pegasus on the South Coast at Portsmouth, so this could be an issue.

Thanks again,

Stuart
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2016-04-26T15:25:40Z
Hello again Stuart
As Parker and Kay supplied all the original sails on the Parker boats they have the dimensions on record even the idiosyncrasies as few boats were standard. No measuring was needed for my genoa.

Jan

325/32
Blue Moon
claeyssens
2016-04-26T19:54:03Z
Hello Stuart and Jan
I have a new jib and a new spinnaker made by Crusader. Very well done. And a new storm jib made by Kemps sails. This one have not been tried but looks good also.
For the mainsail, I had prefered to have a new one at the French sailmaker in my Harbour "Paimpol voiles" because the boom uses to hurt the spray hood with the old one ( Parker & kay). This mainsail is full batten and was made in China on the sailmaker's indication. This sail is cheaper and well done. I can give the price The sail maker's address is voileriepaimpol@me.com.and voilerie-Paimpol.com
I have also 2 old main sails Parker and kay ( from N°22 and N°27)for sale.
Best regards
Pascal Claeyssens 325/27
Mike Lockwood
2016-04-26T23:12:18Z
The successor to Parker and Kay (via Quantum) is OneSails (GBR) South.
Hamble Point Marina
School Lane
SO31 4JD

023 8045 8213

www.onesails.co.uk 
Mike Lockwood
Lucky Devil
Parker 325/35
Phill
2016-04-27T19:33:48Z
Stuart,
I had a Vectran Genoa made by Kemp two years ago for my 275. The service and quality were excellent. The Vectran option was not cheap but claims serious longevity and stability which I have no cause to doubt. I approached Parker & Kay who did have the measurements but didn't seem very interested in helping me make the right choice. That said I'm still using the original P&K main from 1995 so you can't fault their quality.

Phill
Stuart Tucker
2016-04-27T22:07:41Z
Gosh! Thank you all for you suggestions so far - clearly I have got much more research to do!!!

Vectran sounds great for the main, but might be too heavy in light airs for the small jib.

So far I have:

One Sails (South)? & circa Parker and Kay.
Crusader?
Kemp?
Batt?

I was also thinking about also:

Rolly Tasker?
Sanders?
Flew?

Should be enough to start with. Any others?

I think Pascal your French sailmaker sounds great, but maybe impractical up here in the very cold north!

Best Regards and thank you all.

Stuart
Martin Watson
2016-04-28T23:18:35Z
Hi Stuart, I am having three sails made for my P27 by Batt Sails in Bosham, 150% genoa, 105% blade sail to go on my new solent stay and an assymetric spinnacker. Their quote was extremely competitive. I will let you know what I think of them when I get them, sometime next week.
Martin Watson
Stuart Tucker
2016-04-29T11:07:38Z
Thanks Martin,

Best Regards,

Stuart
waardij
2016-05-10T18:03:55Z
Originally Posted by: Martin Watson 

Hi Stuart, I am having three sails made for my P27 by Batt Sails in Bosham, 150% genoa, 105% blade sail to go on my new solent stay and an assymetric spinnacker. Their quote was extremely competitive. I will let you know what I think of them when I get them, sometime next week.

Could you give some more detail on the solent stay? I am looking for a solution like that for my ss26. Details on how it is fitted to the mast, the halyard, the deck fitting, etc.

kind regards,

Hans

David Smith
2016-05-11T16:34:22Z
Hi Stuart,
I see Dick Batt Sails at Bosham has already been mentioned.
He has done work for me on my 285 HS and also on friends boats at Thornham Marina.
Dick is a really nice guy and I would recommend a visit and chat with him.
Competitive prices for me and quality work.

Best wishes

David

Blythe Spirit 285 HS
Stuart Tucker
2016-05-11T16:55:44Z
Thanks David,

Yes Batt have been added to my list. Everyone has been very helpful.

Stuart
Doug Rivers
2016-11-07T19:54:40Z
Hi, an out of date response but might help others in future. I had a main, 100% blade jib and assymetric made by one sails (Parker and Kay, John Parker at levington.) in 2012. The main and jib are high tech technora with taffeta. The sails remain superb with no change in shape or obvious signs of wear. The price was competitive although pricey compared with other materials.

The blade jib which has short battens is great upwind in over 12 knots of wind but noticeably underpowered in less. I use it in all wind strengths and reef the main. Short tacking is easy. The big downside is the complete lack of power when reaching.

For this reason I am now fitting furlex roller reefing and One Sails are making a techora / taffeta 135% genoa. I understand the original genoas were 140% but I think this is too big to reef to a useful size whilst retaining an efficient upwind shape. I'm hoping the new sail will remain effective upwind reefed to 110%, possibly using the inner track - I'll soon find out! The price was competitive although I do like to stick with one sailmaker if possible.

Doug
Stuart Tucker
2016-11-09T20:30:40Z
Hi Doug,

Thanks for this. I have gone with Rolly Tasker (Offshore range) My jib will be 100%.

Best Regards,

Stuart
Pegasus 325.37
ASKHAM
2016-11-24T08:41:03Z
Hi readers,
I have just engaged Sanders Sails of Lymington to make new sails for Nauti (SS26). Peter Sanders had great knowledge and had a folder of every sail they have ever made for a SuperSeal. He will visit Ashlett Creek to measure up soon and I have selected AP Dacron for both Msin and No 3 genoa. It was good to talk to him about my cruising requirements and the best sails to select. Will post again when the sails are delivered.
Mike Baldwin
2023-12-18T20:45:38Z
I found this thread which is a few years old now. My mainsail has been condemned☹️I would be very grateful to receive any more up to date suggestions. My existing sail is fully battened which seems to work fine. My questions are the same as usual I suppose. Should the new one be fully battened or not? What type of cloth? I don't race but I plan to do extended cruising around Britain and Northern Europe. Also, which sailmakers can you recommend? Many thanks for your help. What sail did you choose in the end Stuart?

Mike
Shemar 335/46
philip linsell
2023-12-19T09:10:52Z
Hello Mike
I've had new sails made for rascal over the last few years.
I selected a Dacron/Dyneema Hybrid fabric, this is more expensive than straight Dacron, but gives a lighter sail, which keeps it's shape longer. Overall it may not last as long as Dacron but my main is now 6 years old and still setting as well as new.
Having had part and fully battened in the past I now prefer part battened as in light winds the sail sets better. I also have loose footed so the foot tension/shape can be adjusted to suit conditions.
I got a few prices but used Batt Sails from Bosham, Dick makes good sails at a competitive price and is local. He's always busy so may need chasing up. You may still be in time to qualify for the autumn discount!
Philip
MartinH
2023-12-19T15:41:32Z
Two years ago we had new main and genoa from Dolphin Sails:

The main is Vectran re-enforced polyester which is lighter that the corresponding plain polyester, lower stretch and said to keep its shape well. The two top battens are full length and the lower two shorter allowing better control of the sail shape.
The genoa is a tri-radial in Hydranet which is a dyneema based fabric, very strong, low stretch and easy to handle.

Not a cheap set of sails but we have been very pleased with them.

Martin
P335/50
Mike Baldwin
2024-01-05T19:09:59Z
Many thanks everyone for your help. Following research, I am leaning towards the same fabric that Martin chose - Vectran, which I believe is now called Vektron. It is made by Dimension Polyant. I also plan to have two full length top battens and two 75% lower battens hopefully for improved sail setting.

I wonder whether anyone has ever considered changing the reefing points? Maybe making each one slightly deeper, or just the third one? I would appreciate your thoughts, especially those caught out in force seven or more!

Mike