PaulJ
  • PaulJ
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2024-05-28T16:19:28Z
Hello all, two questions for the price of one, if I may?

Having owned my 235 for a couple of years, due to various factors outside my control, I have only just put her on a mooring in the Exe estuary, so, first of all, keel up to keep it free of weed, or down to keep her straight in the strong current? Currently the keel is up with the obligatory 10cms under it, with rudder down, although she doesn't dry out.

The second question involves lifting the 6hp Tohatsu, to rest it on the plug to keep the prop clear of the water. How does everybody else do it? I just manhandled the thing, but that was hard work, and frankly dangerous. Do people make a sling and hoist off the boom, but then, as the boom doesn't extend over the motor, it will still need to be kept over the mounting board, which then complicates the matter. Is there an elegant solution I am missing?

Thanks,

Paul.

James Hamilton
2024-05-28T19:12:58Z
1) I would tend to leave the keel down, I believe one got blown flat in a gust on a mooring, the keel then slid out the top, and the boat inverted

2) Peter Scriven made a hoist which slotted into the two U bolts at the back of 'hole', ( they are provided for when the mast is lowered). You could probably do the same, but you cannot use the tiller when the hoist is in . I only take my engine out at the end of the season when I rig tackle to the boom

Jim Hamilton

PaulJ
  • PaulJ
  • Newbie Topic Starter
2024-06-03T11:25:23Z
Yes, I'd heard about the danger of keel loss if the boat inverts, I'm thinking there must be a way of closing the top of the hole with a bolt/rod.ore even a plug which can be easily removable?

Where I moor is a very heavy weed area, so that is why I want to keep the motor and keel up for as much time as possible. I will play around with a hoist off the boom or even one off the mast crutch could work. When I get something to work I will post back here.

In the meantime all advice is welcomed.

James Hamilton
2024-06-04T09:34:05Z
I have a long aluminium pole (mine is 1500 x 40d with Allen A-4331 ends) , which is clipped to the secondary lift eye on the keel, and when the keel is fully down is clipped to a rope loop, which is tied to the base of the mast. So it is only a restraint when the keel is fully down, but I guess you could have a shorter pole. You might have to cut a bigger hole in the glass fibre cover plate, though recently I have completely removed this so I can see what is happening with the blocks (they tend to twist which makes it hard work to lift the keel). I like this arrangement (with the long pole) as I can see how much of the keel is down by how much of the pole sticks out above the deck. A long rope loop might work for you with the long pole.

Jim Hamilton

John Edwards
2024-06-06T07:56:11Z
Sorry, a little slow to respond here.

I think James has summarised the situation well although I believe my circumstances are somewhat different.

I am moored on a buoy in a fairly sheltered part of Poole harbour. It does not dry out, as such, but on a spring tide it can get rather shallow. As a result, I always leave the keel about halfway. The leading eyebolt has the pulley mechanism, the other I has a 5mm dynema rope on an elastic cord; the former I have looped so that I can raise the keel halfway and support with a 'bolt', protected by a piece of wood. Sounds a bit Heath Robinson but works well. When I sail, I remove the bolt and, depending on the wind, sail like that dropping the keel, if necessary, when the wind picks up. Also helps - being lazy – if I don’t need to lower/raise the keel so much.

I was not really ware about the issues of the keel movement when the boat is 'inverted' so can’t really comment. When I have lifted the keel right up out of the housing (twice) so that I could replace the eyebolts, I had to remove part of the side mechanism. But being an older boat, perhaps that is why!

Raising the engine right out of the water, I have a wooden contraption which the engine sits on. At the moment, fortunately I don’t have a problem lifting the engine. – at least no more than raising the keel. I get right over the engine and lift accordingly.

I hope to go to the boat tomorrow so will takes some pics and try to most them here.

Talk soon

John

235/07 Diamond

Sinclair1824
2024-06-08T05:41:32Z
Paul, I’ve made a very nice engine hoist and support which works really well, I’ll send pictures shortly.

David (Jupiter)

webmaster
2024-06-13T17:45:12Z
Posted on behalf of John Edwards

Photo of engine arrangement

Temp Boat pic.jpeg

Click to View Image2 View(s)

Sinclair1824
2024-06-19T13:00:27Z
IMG_0363.jpeg

Click to View Image0 View(s)

IMG_0364.jpeg