Paul Bowman
2011-02-03T10:52:44Z
Has anybody weighed their 235 and road trailer to see what the overall towing weight is? Does that weight include the engine? I'm thinking about buying a towing vehicle and am considering the Kia Sportage and the Freelander (both about 1800kgs. I know the Kia Sorrento has loads of capacity to spare, but it's bigger than I want as an everyday vehicle.

Thanks

Paul

235/17 Kinkajou

Paul

Hunter Pilot 27, GiGi

(ex 235 owner)

Gary
2011-02-03T15:07:40Z
Hi Paul,

We tow our P235 (only once so far from Rutland to Stoke on Trent) with a Kia Sorento KX2 2.2 diesel this model has a towing capacity of 2500 kgs. Our previous Sorento with a 2.5 diesel had a towing capacity of 3500 kgs I would recommend either.

Reading from the Parker 235 spec sheet it states average kerbside weight as being 1850kgs I guess without the engine which would add another 50 kgs making 1900kgs. In my opinion I would certainly not go for the sportage which I understand has a 1600kgs towing capacity, the freelander is just in at 2000kgs but when you add up allthe weight of your bits and bobs...well.

Your vehicle and boat add up to a tidy sum and if for what ever reason or another an accident occured you would want to be assured that the insurance company was satisfied and would pay up. Sorry to end on doom and gloom.

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

UserPostedImage

Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel

Crew of Juicy Blue P235

James Hamilton
2011-02-03T16:34:08Z
Hi, Paul

I had a 4L jeep and even that occaisonally started to wander when going downhill at speed with my old Jaguar 21 (eg over to Newbury). If you are intending to tow empty, the 1800kg might be enough (with the engine and anchors et cetera in the car), but if it is with the family and supplies for two weeks holiday, then I agree with Gary 2000kg is probably the minimum. The weight on the tow bar seemed to be important for tow stability, but I didn't do enough of it to be able to offer advice other than to follow the manufacturers recommendations.

Jim

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 

Andy G
2011-02-04T10:12:52Z
Hi Paul

I bought a Parker 235 with the original Mersea braked trailer in December and towed it back from Pembroke to Buckler's Hard with a Freelander 2. I had the outboard and kedge in the car but left everything else in the boat.

I had no problems towing to and from the motorway and it sat happily at 60 on the motorway. I gave some thought to the weight distribution in the boat but was very surprised at how nicely she towed and the Freelander 2 handled to well except the MPG went down to 26MGP from it's normal 36MPG.

Andy

Jago

Parker 235/04

Jago

Parker 235/04

ARRussell
2011-02-04T19:48:16Z
Hello Paul,

I claim no expertise but I chatted with Bill Parker about this before buying. He told me that his preference for towing the 235 was to use an estate car because the long wheelbase provided better stability. I believe he used a Renault Laguna estate. After that, I bought a Mondeo estate (2l Diesel) and have had no difficulties towing the boat. The trailer came fitted with a stabiliser, which, no doubt, helps too.

Having said that, I'm sure weight distribution is more important than the car used - as others have said. I put all the heavy stuff in the car, including anchors, engine, battery and tender. Another advantage of the Mondeo is that it's big inside! Loading the car makes it heavier than the tow, which is good (obviously keeping within the MTW).

Obviously, the Mondeo will run out of grip on slippery slipways before a 4WD car, but I haven't had that problem yet - I've been amazed by it, though the slip I usually use is shallow-sloped. Using well-maintained slips that are regularly jet-washed minimises the risk.

A former owner of my boat used a 1.6 Rover with no reported difficulties. I've been reminded by people who used to tow boats decades ago that the sorts of cars available now are far better than anything in the 1970s, when the Austin Princess was considered a good tow car! So, as long as you're careful (such as anticipating the nose weight going light as you crest a rise), you'll probably not go far wrong with whatever modern 4WD or diesel estate car you choose.

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

2011-02-05T10:50:30Z
Hi Paul,

I appreciate your comment about not needing a Sorento sized car for every day use, but I have to say I can't fault mine. For the first time in a life of owning far too many cars I have bought the same car again, having had my previous Sorento for 5 years, and my current one for 2. It is a fantastic tow car, has won caravan club award things, and I've towed our 235 across Scotland, including an epic delivery from Lincoln to Mull in January 2007 as documented in the club magazine! I can't praise the Sorento enough, and it costs new for about the same price as a 3 year old Discovery.

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

Paul Bowman
2011-02-05T15:31:02Z
Thanks for your replies. Just one other question. I thought a manual would be best, but some of the caravan forums seem to favour automatics. What do you think?

Paul

235/17 Kinkajou

Paul

Hunter Pilot 27, GiGi

(ex 235 owner)

James Hamilton
2011-02-07T13:07:59Z
I think a traditional Torque converter American style automatic (such as I had on the Jeep) is probably best as there is no clutch to wear, however you can add a few percent onto the petrol consumption for that (10 to 15%?). The Subaru I have now uses an automatic clutch type transmission which has the same mpg as a manual, and I now prefer it for normal driving. However you don't have the same control over clutch slip on the slipway which may be causing some wear (although I have had no actual problems - I lock down the gear into first). If you don't fancy the extra mpg and want to do significant towing I would have thought the manual transmission is probably best.

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 

PaulBurton
2011-03-11T21:43:05Z
Don't tow a 235 with an estate car......You really don't want the tow being heavier than a car. Don't believe a word anyone says...a 235 with engine and other items will be at least 2000kg. It is not the engine power that is the problem, it is stopping it.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

smiffy
2011-03-12T00:19:19Z
Maybe some ought to have a squint at this?.................

Towing Rules

Although many of the rules below have a UK bias they generally apply world wide.

1.When towing a trailer you are restricted to a maximum speed of 50mph on single carriageway roads, and 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways, provided no lower limit is in force. In the UK you are not allowed to use the outside lane of a three or more, lane motorway when towing, except where there are lane closures which restrict the lanes to two or less, or when instructed to do so by the Police.

2.If you tow a small trailer without brakes, the weight of the trailer is limited to 50% of the kerb weight of the car or 750kg, whichever is less.

3. When towing larger trailers that have brakes fitted, the weight of the vehicle should not (as a rule of thumb) exceed 85% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle. If brakes are fitted they must work whether they are a legal requirement or not.

4. Most vehicle manufacturers state the maximum towing limit in their hand books, but you must bear in mind the total weight including passengers and luggage, also any items put in the caravan or trailer. The weight can soon add up.

5. You must be licensed to tow. You need C1 to drive vehicles exceeding 3.5t mam (Maximum Authorised Mass) with a trailer exceeding 750kgs mam and B+E to drive a car/car derived van or small goods vehicle not exceeding 3.5t mam pulling a trailer exceeding 750kgs mam up to the gross train weight of the vehicle concerned.

6. Whilst towing you must have third party cover for your trailer as well as for the tow car.

7. If you are towing a boat with an outboard motor you must use a reinforced plastic bag or bucket or the propeller and outboard legs. Similarly masts there must be no sharp edges which could cause injury.

8. The lightboard should be no more than 1.5m from the ground or 2.1m if the structure of the vehicle makes it impracticable. Indicators must flash in unison with those of the towcar and a dashboard warning light or buzzer must be fitted.

9. The number plate on the trailer must be identical in shape, and colour to that on the towcar.

Towing Tips

1. Make sure your trailer is regularly serviced and maintained. It is not wise to leave your trailer unused for the majority of the year before taking it out on the road without checking it for serviceability, brakes and tyres in particular.

2. If your trailer has brakes, a common problem that may occur is that brake cables and linkages could seize. This may cause the brakes to bind, over heating the wheel bearings. This may result in the wheel, complete with the hub assembly, parting company with the trailer.

3. Check all lights are working and that electrical cables do not drag on the road.

4. Many problems associated with towing a trailer are caused by incorrect loading. Try to put all heavy items over the axle and make sure they are secured to prevent movement when cornering or braking. If possible, put heavier items in the car and larger lighter items in the trailer.

5. The trailer should be level.

6. If towing in France it is recommended that a complete set of replacement light bulbs and a warning triangle is carried in the car.

7. As long as the trailer is evenly loaded, nose weight is correct and the whole outfit sits level on the road you are unlikely to experience a problem with snaking.

8.A stabiliser will reduce snaking by increasing the turning friction between towing vehicle and trailer. However a stabiliser will not compensate for bad loading, weight distribution.

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384

(the last one built by John Baker)

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384

(the last one built by John Baker)

PaulBurton
2011-03-12T07:04:43Z
An '07 plate 2.2dci Laguna estate has a kerbweight of 1530kgs meaning we should be able to tow up to around 1300 kgs on the old 85% guide.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

ARRussell
2011-03-14T21:08:40Z
quote:
Don't believe a word anyone says...a 235 with engine and other items will be at least 2000kg.

I agree with the first part of this: don’t take someone else’s word for it; take the boat to a public weighbridge to check it. I did and established that it’s a quarter of a ton lighter than this figure. When I tow, my car weighs more than the boat/trailer because I load everything into it, as well as the people. Irrespective of weight, leaving the engine in place on the boat isn’t a good idea because it’s in the worst place for trailer stability.

Paul, did your boat and trailer really exceed 2000kg? That much variation between boats or trailers seems very unlikely, even with "engine and other items" (my 6hp Tohatsu only weighs 25kg). Or was that just a guess?

I was well aware of the Caravan Club’s guidance (which has no basis in law, of course). It is very conservative, intended for beginners, and it’s aimed at caravans, which tend to be less stable, since they have the aerodynamics of, well, a box. It is common for a trailer to exceed not only the kerb weight of the vehicle but also the vehicle’s gross weight: Landrovers, etc, with kerb weights of around 2000 – 2200kg can tow up to 3500kg – e.g. allowing P27/275s to be trailed. And cars all tend to be heavier than earlier models, so that disparity used to be even bigger. (Also, certain models of the 4WDs mentioned above are actually lighter than the Mondeo estate.) The most important things are correct nose weight, weight distribution and driving carefully.

Having said all that, my point was simply that a big 4WD vehicle can be regarded as ‘nice to have’ rather than essential for towing the P235 or other small boats. It seems a pity if someone is put off buying a boat because of the perceived need for an expensive, large towing vehicle. That perception is reinforced in the boaty mags, such as by PBO's recent Landrover-sponsored series on trailer-sailing, which all pictured a little boat (a Shrimper, I think) being towed by an enormous Discovery 4! But, of course, if you have a car like that or the Sorento discussed above, it’s clearly going to be a superior towing vehicle than a 2WD estate. I might get one myself at some point – especially if I find myself needing a tow from one up a weedy slipway!

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

Anthony Russell

235/02 Sea Wyche

Paul Bowman
2011-03-31T12:23:08Z
Well, i made a decision and purchased a 56 plate Freelander 1. It's a 2 litre diesel, automatic, with four different settings for the auto box. It also has a hill descent function that will be helpful for the steep lane to my house in the snow.It has a 2000kg towing weight, but I probably won't do that much towing anyway. I've towed caravans in the past, so I have some experience of towing. However, I am mindful of the suggested 85% kerbside rule. Thanks again.

Paul

235/17 Kinkajou

Paul

Hunter Pilot 27, GiGi

(ex 235 owner)