James Hamilton
2012-06-28T13:39:08Z
Has anyone looked into making a self tacking Jib for the 235?
The Jib clew comes such a little way past the mast (if at all) that it almost seems a pity not to have one.
The elements would be
- a boom pivoted at the foot of fore-stay (would the bowsprit be long enough?/ too long). The sheet would lead to the forestay and back along the boom through a block to the sail
- a horse (if that is the right word) mounted between the existing tracks to hold the boom down via a a block running on a circular section horse, or a car running on a track. Thames barges used a rope grommet I think on a steel bar.

Alternatives are possible:-
- No boom, but the horse geometry has to be more precise so that the jib has the same sheet tension as it tacks, and I am not sure how the sheet would work (still back to the fore-stay foot, or cleated through a mainsail type block on the horse?)

There are no doubt lots of reasons why this would not be practicable, but I would be interested to know of peoples speculations.
Geoff Harwood
2012-06-29T19:49:15Z
I used to sail on a Maxi 1000 which had a self-tacking jib. It didn't have a boom and the horse was a section of a circle centred on the forestay. The sheet went from the clew, down to a block on a ball-bearing carriage on the horse, then to a block near the tack and back via various guides to a sheet winch.

It was great for beating up narrow channels but it was hopeless off the wind. Your boom could improve that no end!

Geoff
James Hamilton
2012-07-03T12:41:39Z
Thanks for the info

Perhaps you could have a secondary sheet, for use off the wind?? ( in light winds would/should be using the assymetric or my new genoa

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg