James Hamilton
2016-07-20T08:44:06Z
Hi, has anyone had their standing rigging replaced yet? Sandy Lady is 11 years old now, and I might sail her for another 10, so I am thinking of replacing now while the mast is down (towing back from Scotland). I would appreciate any recommendations and/or costs. Jim Hamilton
ARRussell
2016-07-22T20:26:12Z
Hello Jim,

I replaced the standing rigging a few years ago. It's not a huge cost - one of the joys of a small boat! I didn't replace turnbuckles or toggles, though, which would increase the cost considerably. I inspected them carefully and all looked fine. I bought from Jimmy Green Marine, which had/has a handy website tool for specifying each shroud and stay (and gave the price for each).

I had a dilemma because my old rigging didn't match the dimensions given in the Parker manual (see my previous posts entitled 'Rig Dimensions'). I concluded that the manual was wrong (at least for my boat, which is #002) and I carefully measured the old rigging (laid on ground and pulled tight) to specify the new.

The forestay has to be cut to allow it to be drawn from the furling spar. I ordered the new one unterminated, slid it into the furler and fitted a Stalok terminal (which I then filled with mastic to keep water out).

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Anthony
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
John Edwards
2016-07-24T14:29:10Z
Many thanks Anthony. I believe mine is the original - so most helpful
John
235/07 Diamond
James Hamilton
2016-08-14T07:29:15Z
Thanks Anthony. I have in fact gone ahead using Ocean rigging of Lymington, and have replaced the toggles and turnbuckles as well as the stays. They did a good job, but haven't had the bill yet, as I did it through Bucklers Hard Boat Builders (now resident in Hythe), and they seem to be slow with the paperwork. Anticipating about £400+ (they also fitted a new windex/aerial which had blown off during the tow from Scotland, which will be extra). Would go direct to the riggers if I had to do it again, as presumably they won't get paid till I pay BHBB.

Jim Hamilton / Sandy Lady