MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2018-05-28T20:43:08Z
I have just purchased Parker 235 number 36 "Juicy Blue" (my second 235) which currently has neither spinnaker nor pole. Does anyone have to hand the dimensions of the pole ? I particularly need (a) the working length (e.g. in whisker pole mode the distance from mast eye to genoa sheet (b) the distance from bow to spinnaker tack (when used as spinnaker pole / bow sprit).

Diameter and wall thickness would also be of interest.

I'm considering making a whisker pole from an old Laser topmast and devising a separate easy to launch bow sprit with tack line running down the centre. If someone else has tried the latter I would be interested to hear from them.

And if anyone has a spinnaker they are not using ......
Mike Ball
P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"
James Hamilton
2018-05-30T09:45:41Z
Hi Mike, Sure you will have lots of fun out of your 235.

The bowsprit/jib stick which looks very much like a spinnaker pole, has a strengthened section where it goes through the steel hoop at the bow, (also used for raising/lowering the mast). It might be worth asking the previous owner for the Owners Manual if he hasn't given you it already. The manual gives the manufacturer as 'PLKY', but I couldn't find a length in there, will try and remember to measure for your. I have a laser, and am not sure if the topmast would be man enough for the job, The strengthened section is presumably to stop it buckling at the hoop (I assume you have one and a halyard?)

If you contact Bill Parker in Boston, he may be able to help, though he has been retired for some years now. I have his number as 01205 365272, but it must be 7 years since I last spoke to him.

I use an extensible whisker pole (not in the spec) Its probably about 2m long extended but will try and measure for you

Regards (P235 #29 Beaulieu)
Jim Hamilton

James Hamilton
2018-06-04T17:53:07Z
Had a measure this weekend:-

- The whisker pole is 1.3m retracted and 2.4m extended, 30mm diameter

- The Jib stick/Bowsprit id 2.2m long and 60mm diameter. The strengthened section is 1.4m from the attachment at the front of the cabin roof

I do not use the whisker pole in very windy conditions

Jim Hamilton