Graham
2023-01-29T18:20:42Z
Hi, I am a newcomer to this site having just purchased a parker 235 called Arawa. Following a period of intense rain on Windermere in Cumbria I noticed the Port locker has leaked. I assumed from the locker lid. Has anyone had this problem with a 235? My plan is to make a neoprene seal for the lid of the locker. However if anyone has had a similar problem and you don't mind sharing you solution it would of great help.

I also note that the locker has a half bulk head towards the stern side which could be breached by water. Does anyone know where this water may go should this happen. At the moment the rest of the boat is dry.

Graham Steele

Arawa,

Nigel Moon
2023-01-29T20:57:36Z
Welcome to the 235 club! I have owned Little Grebe for 12 years and never experienced any water entering the locker through the locker lid. When the boat is upright rainwater drains down the channels either side into the cockpit. I have sailed in some fairly rough conditions and never had a problem. Could the winch on the coach roof need revealing - that can be checked by removing the panel below it. It is true there is only half a bulkhead inside the locker and I suppose in theory if enough water entered and topped over it then it would find its way into the void behind the engine well which is open to the storage well at the end of the starboard quarter berth. Think you’d have other things on your mind if it got to that stage! The Parker 235 has no bilge between the floor and hull. You will have noticed the fitted hand pump with a long pipe to reach inside the cabin - mine has never been used!

Nigel

Little Grebe No 14

Graham
2023-01-30T20:12:32Z
Thanks Nigel, I didn't think about checking the coach roof winch. I guess water may track down from there. I know the access panel beneath the coach roof so will take a look.. The boat feels very dry down below even without any tube heaters on and I didn't see any water in the bow section where the log and depth sounder are.

Resealing the hinges as well may help and the other culprit may be the hood with has some fittings that are attached through the side deck and the combing .

James Hamilton
2023-05-10T15:40:08Z
I have had a similar problem with the cabin aft port locker under the bunk. I also think it was the cockpit locker lid. The carpet showing behind the shelves was dry, if a winch leaked, I would expect to see some damp there.

The boat sat on it's trailer for the winter with a portside list, and I am ashamed to say I hadn't kept the channels either side of the lid as clear of muck as I should have done. Up to now, I have never seen a drop of water inside the boat. Some water drained to the void at the back, which I have attempted to empty with the bilge pump, but I think more may have gathered between the hull and the inside skin, since after a sail (involving heeling to port), I go another lot of water in the locker (not salt, so rain water). There is a hole in the top aft corner of the locker, planning to stick a siphon down there to see if I can get rid of what is left, then look for a gust on starboard tack!

Jim Hamilton

Sandy Lady

Graham
2023-05-10T17:56:53Z
Hi Jim, I still have the water entering the port locker have kept on top of the poblem with regular bale outs. It was not the winch. I think it may be due deck fittings leaking into the locker. My locker has 12mm sq. neoprene aound the top of the groves you mention and they are loose and comming away. May replace these and reseal deck fittings.

The opening at the back of rhe port locker seems to open into the rear bunk storage area. I have not noticed any damp or condensation. However, I do have a port list when moorred up. I might investigate further.

My boat is otherwise very dry.

James Hamilton
2023-06-03T13:35:39Z
Hi

FYI, I remembered that I had fitted a hatch under the petrol tank (see Peter Scriven's post). When I looked in this there was quite a bit of water in there (the boat was parked on a slope, bow up). I was able to place the bilge pump hose quite low, pumped it dry (with a bit of sponging) and since then, nothing has come through to the port aft locker in the cabin, even with a good heel to port. However it han't rained since, so I don't know whether my new hatch is the culprit or the blocked drains.

Jim

johniow
2023-06-12T13:57:00Z
I know it's a different model, but I think the principle holds. My port side cockpit locker hatch leaks and water gathers in the bottom. On inspection the neoprene seals have perished. I suspect when new they would compress and form a water tight seal. I'm currently scraping out the old, cleaning up the fibre glass ready to fit new ones. Unfortunately I could only buy a thinner type of seal locally so I'll just put (at least) two layers in. I'l report back ...

John

Nosey - Parker 325-26
James Hamilton
2023-06-12T14:55:38Z
As a correction, I do have Neoprene seals, at the back of the cockpit lid, and one has come adrift, though still surprised that water got below.

Jim Hamilton

James Hamilton
2023-09-19T15:24:44Z
It was my new access hatch (Port right aft under the petrol tank) which leaked. I had cheated on the number of screws. Since I installed it again (the other way round) with all the screws I haven't had a leak.

Jim,Sandy Lady