Graeme
2008-02-28T20:39:02Z
This year I thought I might launch Gentoo off her trailer. Previously I've had her craned in which gave me a chance to a/f the keel. This year no need as I've had the keel blasted and repainted.

What advice would you all offer me on launching? Slight issue is that there is no jetty alongside the slipway. Do you need to unhitch the trailer on an average incline slipway? The trailer is a West Mersea make with low profile tyres.

Thanks in advance

Graeme Parker

"Gentoo"

PaulBurton
2008-02-28T20:48:57Z
I never unhitch mine ...but I use a Discovery 4x4.

You will need a stern mooring line as long as possible to hold against any wind or tide.

Do you have docking arms ???

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362

Graeme
2008-02-29T09:02:51Z
Thanks Paul,

I do have arms on the trailer. I can probably rig a stern line from the first pontoon. If not, I can lay a kedge anchor from the dinghy.

Graeme

James Hamilton
2008-03-06T15:21:25Z
Graeme

I don't normally use a rope to launch, I reverse in using the engine.

- Back down the slipway until the towing hitch is about to go in the water (maybe different on your launching slip)

- Start the engine, to let it warm up.

- put the rudder down as far as possible,

- unhook the boat

- reverse off into the river (first having checked if anyone is in the way).

- drop the keel and rudder to get some control

- park temporarily on a pontoon.

I have the docking arms to stop me being washed off, and there is just enough weight left on the trailer to stop her slipping off immeadiately I release the hook at the bow, but not so much that she's reluctant to come off when I open the throttle. We have a pontoon and pile to avoid, and the tide is normally running, but provided I am not too tentative, it doesn't seem to be a problem steering in reverse with the keel up. You have to hold the rudder quite tightly at two knots in reverse as it will try and flip... The engine can be vectored as well if required.

I have nerver tried to launch in waves, my problems so far have all been with slipping rather than with launching. The rudder and keel are up, you have no control, and the wind is pushing you onto the shore...

regards

Jim Hamilton

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 

Graeme
2008-03-07T09:29:41Z
Thanks James,

I'll give it a go. Waves shouldn't be an issue in the marina, unless a tanker or the Rosyth ferry have just passed.

Graeme

Graeme
2008-04-08T09:38:15Z
Launching went well, Gentoo now back on her berth. Key lessons learnt:

• Slipway at my marina (Port Edgar) is too shallow a slope to allow trailer to be used hitched
  • Had to push trailer in by hand weight distribution is key as trailer wants to tip back if you get too much weight aft
  • Wish I'd bought waders at £9.99 when they were in Lidl's

Here's hoping weather this year is better than last.

Graeme

James Hamilton
2008-04-08T12:35:34Z
Glad it went well, I have to use a rope (3 to 4m) to get the trailer in far enough at Bucklers Hard without submerging the car wheels. Sometimes at top tide it also needs to be pushed.

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 

2008-04-11T08:07:29Z
Graeme: One additional point...when I recovered "Exodus" last autumn I had three or four attempts to get the boat squarely onto the trailer - I could not get the keel to sit resting on the trailer chassis, it was a couple of inches out (in other words had I lowered the keel it would have dropped until it hit the tarmac!).

I thought it was the guide arms thet were wrong but have now realised that all 235's sit port side low, so the boat comes onto the trailer with a list. This is because the battery, fuel and toilet are port side, and I also have a heavy st steel holding tank and sea toilet to port too. Next year I'll ask someone to stay aboard and sit to starboard!

Oh, and I DID get the Lidl waders - well worth £9.99!!!

[img]UserPostedImage[/img]

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber

235/51 "Exodus"

Graeme
2008-04-11T09:30:45Z
Thanks Stephen,

Worth checking, however as Gentoo is an older model (2004) the battery is installed under the starboard berth, which does level her out a bit. Also I tend to mount the dinghy outboard on the starboard pushpit.

I'll probably recover her using a crane to allow me to inspect the keel. And it will be November in Scotland so getting wet won't be fun.

Graeme

John Tanner
2008-04-12T12:18:16Z
I made these comments on another discussion thread at the end of last year - it may add usefully to the sum of human knowledge! Or not...

"Just to add to various launching/recovery comments I too use a set of waders and a rope to get the trailer further into the water (our ramp has a VERY shallow gradient and I may need up to 30 meters of rope out) . [It was used in WWII to launch Sunderland Flying Boats into Windermere!]

However, my trailer's guide arms are marked with black tape indicating the exact water depth required to enable the boat to just float on - right up to the buffer at the bow. I also have two small rope ties to the top of the guide arms and round conveniently placed stanchions to steady the boat in windy conditions. The only problem I have found is the "list to port" as the boat is floating, which means that the boat may come out that way too on the trailer. I will fix that next time by paying more attention to water/battery/loo/petrol tank positioning before recovery."

You can "correct" the list to port a little though with the use of the small ropes between the guide arms and stanchions. Although I have never tried it, I guess you could also put a slightly more substantial lashing on the starboard side to pull/list the boat back to starboard - it is only for a short time. As soon as the trailer/boat is pulled a short way up the ramp, enough of the weight is on the trailer and problem solved.

John Tanner

235/34 "Billy Ruffian"