Don Philip
2004-11-17T15:19:00Z
We have just bought a Super Seal with a fixed keel and inboard BMW diesel setup. Unfortunately the BMW engine now needs replacing or refurbishment.

Because the boat is in Dubai the replacement diesel engine will have to be purchased and freighted in. A new diesel is about four times the cost of a new outboard which could be mounted on the transom.

The outboard solution would be quick, cheaper and easier but wouldn't provide flow over the rudder. The various holes in the hull could be sealed and there would be less drag when sailing with the outoard tilted clear.

Has anybody replaced an inboard with a transom mounted outboard? Do you have any thoughts on the outboard as a solution solution?

My application for membership is in the post and sorry about the blank postings

Don Philip
Don Philip
DGleeson
2004-11-17T15:20:00Z
Hi,
there is an article in the Super Seal handbook about using a transom hung outboard on a Super Seal. I can't remember the details but you can ask for the book when you join the assoc.

I previously had a Jaguar 25 with an outboard on a bracket. It worked well except in very sharp chop when the engine came out of the water for a few seconds. One drawback was lifting the engine up on the bracket especially when I went to a heavier 9.9.

This year I bought a Yamaha 4 stroke for the Super Seal which seems to have plenty of power for the Super Seal. The well for the engine is inboard and so far the engine has not come out of the water and is much easier to lift up and down. You could fit an inboard well into your Super Seal if you are brave enough to attack the boat with a jigsaw and plenty of fiberglass and resin !
Best of luck with the new boat !
Donal Gleeson
Donal Gleeson
Ken Surplice
Hi,
You might want to consult with Chris Turner of Elsa. He just went from outboard to inboard on his Seal 26. When I asked him how it feels to be diesel powered Chris explained that the outboard setup had many things to recommend it but the inboard brings range. I will contact Chris and see if I can persuade him to write something here.

Cheers-Ken
Ken Surplice
Ken
Chris Turner
I don't know of anyone mad enough to replace an existing inboard set up with a transom hung outboard! I do know of a SS owner who replaced his 'well hung' outboard because it was too noisy and smelly and put it on the stern. He sold the boat almost immediately after!
There are many advantages of an outboard in the well. Despite the noise. (See Don Harveys comments re the 22 recently.) But the restructuring of the stern to fit a well may be a bit drastic unless you are good with GRP.
Surely, if you have an existing inboard set up it would be relatively inexpensive to get hold of a refurbished little Yanmar to replace the BMC? My huge expense of replacing an outboard in a well with an inboard and all the other gear can only be justified on the basis of increased range, safety, and availability of fuel. It is noisier in the cabin than it was, but a bit quieter in the cockpit. I have to be much more circumspect now wrt drying out. In weedy areas (we do a lot of inland waterways) raw water input has to be checked and cleared very regularly.We burnt out an impeller in minutes in the canals. The Merc outbard cleared itself automatically.
However, on balance, I would not go back to an outboard. The folding prop has virtually no resistance while sailing and I can now stop the boat in half the distance. I use about half the fuel despite 50pc more power. With red diesel at one third of the price here, motoring costs beome almost irrelevant. Also EEC regulations re use and storage of petrol, paricularly in inland waterways, are soon to become very difficult.
Please contact if I can be of any further help. Chris.

Chris Turner
Don Philip
2004-11-17T15:21:00Z
Thank you very much for your responses and I really appreciate all your comments.

We are still researching and considering what to do, mainly because we don't want to spoil a fine sailing boat.

Don Philip
Don Philip