Stephen Godber
2006-10-06T14:05:00Z
Is there a best engine choice? There seems to have been a shift to favour the Honda 6 as it is twin cylinder and therefore smoother / quieter, but living on an island means the 5 year warranty will cost alot to keep current. Weight is not a problem as I shall leave it mounted in the boat, which will be on a mooring. Is there a really noticeable difference between the Tohatsu and the Honda with regard to smoothness / noise? Has anyone tried the Yamaha twin cylinder 6? Anything I'm missing? All advice welcome!!! Thanks
Stephen Godber
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
PaulBurton
2006-10-06T18:29:00Z
I have the honda....I bought the boat secondhand 1 year old, the engine has not done a lot or had a hard life... My honda is not running great.....revs fluctuate....It doesn't like to tick over when cold...it is very heavy....and not that quiet....I am going to get it serviced and see if it runs any better.

I had a tohatsu 2 stroke 4hp s/s as a tender for my other boat...well thrashed on the tender.....always started first pull, would tick over all day, used and abused for 3 years without the cover ever being taken off...never serviced or plug changed.......wish I had never sold it

Hope this helps.....

Paul 235/40 Lady P.
Paul Burton.
Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graham Ebb
2006-10-07T17:59:00Z
Graham Ebb
2006-10-07T18:03:00Z
Some say the Honda is a smoother and quieter engine but I have not had that experience. We sail with a Parker 21 often, that has a Honda and we have the Tohastu, both 6hp 4strokes. Cant really notice any differance in noise or preformance, but the Honda is alot heavier.
Graham Ebb
Stephen Godber
2006-10-09T10:49:00Z
Thanks both...that seems to echo what I've heard elsewhere, that the Honda isn't the panacea it is claimed to be. Will go for the Tohatsu, which is cheaper anyway and less 'service intense'! Thanks!
Stephen Godber
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
2006-10-10T13:40:00Z
I chose the Yamaha BF6 twin cylinder on grounds of performamnce and quality over the Honda 6HP which is old technology filling a gap in the new Honda range. The Yamaha is smooth, powerful and reliable but is also heavy. This can be an issue if you leave your boat on a mooring as the outboard is constantly immersed and fowling can become an issue. Only option is to lift out but at 44kg this is not ideal. Another possibility could be to fit new guide rails for the O/B bracket allowing the O/B to be lifted higher out of the water but not sure if anyone has tried this.
Niels Petersen (Parker 235 #35)
Stephen Godber
2006-10-11T12:44:00Z
Thanks Niels - I like Yamaha from previous experience, and what you say makes sense. Is it purely the weight which stops it clearing the water - I know the earlier boats had engines which remained immersed, now Bill PArker recommends a short shaft which comes clear of the water. Are you saying that the Yamaha still doesn't clear the water simply due to its weight? Yamaha clain it weighs 37 kilos, which is only two more than the Honda...sorry to ask more questions, really appreciate the help! Thank you! Stephen
Stephen Godber
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
James Hamilton
2006-10-30T20:37:00Z
We have a Honda 6 and as such it is nice engine, pretty smooth and good power.

We have had a problem (Hull #29) with the hole not being quite big enough, however I gather from Bill that this has now been cured.

I have had two other problems with owning the 235.

Firstly to keep the warrantry you have to have it serviced by them (which puts the nett cost up quite a bit).

Secondly the in place flushing arrangements are almost laughable. The instruction manual tells you to take the propeller off every time you flush (to fix the hose to the engine intake). If you don't flush it rapidly salts up. We were told this instruction was to cover Honda against idiots who put the engine in gear while flushing (the propellor would hit the intake attachment), so we do flush with the propeller on! However it would be very difficult to flush effectively while the engine was on the boat and the boat afloat. You would also need a very copious supply of water as the hose attachment is just a clip on rubber 'mouth' and leeks a lot.

A final problem I have with the engine is that it is rather heavy (dissuading you from taking it off every time you sail).

In retrospect I would prefer that I had got a lighter albeit noisier engine, with an easy flushing arrangement (such as the old Mercury 2 stoke 4hp).

Nevertheless, it has pretty well allways started first or second pull and is very quiet and smooth.

Jim Hamilton

James Hamilton
Stephen Godber
2006-10-31T18:41:00Z
Thanks alot Jim...I've decided (and you further confirm this!) to go with the Tohatsu Saildrive. No-one has a bad word to say about them, they are almost half the price and lighter as well. I'm not sure the smoother /quieter option of the Honda (which is subjective anyway) is worth the aggro. The better twin seems to be the Yamaha, but I'll go with the Tohatsu...many thanks for your input! Stephen
Stephen Godber
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
David Pocock
2006-11-01T20:27:00Z
I came to exactly the same conclusion, and my Tohatsu 5hp saildrive is currently with Bill Parker waiting to be fitted.

David Pocock
David Pocock
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
2006-11-03T16:11:00Z
Hi Stephen, Sorry not to have replied earlier but looks like things have moved on. The design change announced by Bill that allows a short shaft Tohatsu to be raised into the cockpit well is a major factor in making the choice. This option was not available when I chose the Yamaha (long shaft 38.5 kg nett) but this would have clinced it for me. Tohatsu sail drive looks best choice to me. Rgds.
Niels Petersen