PaulBurton
2007-10-16T08:05:40Z
After seeing the lastest 235 on the for sale page I saw it has a Kemp Spinnaker.

I contacted Kemp and got a quote for a 235 spinnaker. It is a lot cheaper than the Quantum quote I got. Has anyone else got a 235 spinnaker that is not a Quantum sail. Any comments on the Kemp spinnaker.???

Thanks

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
John Williams
2007-10-16T15:06:04Z
Hi Paul

I have a Kemp spinnaker on my 275 and it's great.
I use it with a Quantum snuffer which is also great.
I can launch and recover it with ease.

Cheers

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323
Don Harvey
2007-10-16T15:21:13Z
Paul

I purchased asymmetrical spinnakers with snuffers from Kemps for both my 275 and 325 after much research. I was very impressed with the quality of the sails and the service provided. (In fact I also bought two blade jibs from Kemps).

Are you aware that Kemps also give a discount to members of the PSSA?

Incidentally - I ended up not using any of the snuffers, preferring to launch and recover from the cockpit so you might consider trying to do without to save cost (the 325 one is still in the loft unused - perhaps I should offer it for sale)

PS - Don't forget to ask them to insert a Seal into the sail.
UserPostedImage

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master

Regards
Don Harvey
Graham Ebb
2007-10-17T09:14:43Z
Hi Paul,

I bought an asymmetric spinnaker in June this year. I got a quote from Kemps which was very cheap compared to Quantum, almost half price, but when they started asking me for dimensions of the boat, I got a bit worried that they were not sure about the details. After speaking to Bill Parker, he advised that only Quantun have taken the trouble to actually make one, try it out on a boat and adjust the design to get it right for the 235. In the end we bought a Quantum one and it is great. The price difference is considerable so it may be worth taking the chance. You pay your money and take your choice.

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
David Pocock
2007-10-17T16:34:57Z
Hello Paul

I cannot comment on the Kemp sail but as I have written elsewhere on this forum I am very pleased indeed with the Quantum sail and especially the snuffer. The Quantum spinnaker works well on the 235 in light airs and I have been on my boat when it was used in gusting 20kts (too much for me!).
The snuffer makes it very easy to launch and recover and this might avoid what some of my friends suffer from - a reluctance to use the spinnaker on their boats because it is all too much trouble.
Also, using the autohelm and the snuffer I have been comfortably able to use the spinnaker when sailing on my own in lightish winds - secure in the knowledge that if the wind gets up it takes only a moment to bring down the snuffer. I am sure others do not need this comfort blanket but it works for me!

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
ChrisC
2007-10-22T16:51:07Z

I have just agreed to buy 235/48 and put a holding deposit on it. This might be the boat Paul was referring to with the Kemp Spinny. I'll let you know if it's any good next season once we have the boat back to Suffolk and launched. It looked OK,was unused and purchased to save costs!!

Chris Cobb
James Hamilton
2007-11-22T12:52:31Z
Hi

I got a 300 sq ft Radial Head Cruising Chute from Quay Sails in Poole £411.60 in 2004 with a snuffer ( £129.25 ). Happy with both, in particular the snuffer works very well.

The chute works well in beam winds, but I have had difficulty getting it to set well going straight downwind (last years round the island, with a rather bumpy swell down the back of the island). Probably need to lead the sheet through a snatch block on the boom.

No Pictures unfortunately

Graham Ebb
2007-11-27T16:06:34Z
Hello ChrisC,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your impending purchase of number 48. I am sure you will get great pleasure from sailing her, we have been really pleased with ours. We have had ours for four seasons now and as our experience grows and our expectations increase, she never disappoints.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask, there are plenty of people happy to share their enjoyment.

Regards

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
ChrisC
2007-11-29T11:44:38Z
Graham,

Thanks for the welcome. We have now got the boat tucked up in Suffolk - I have already got a lot of useful info from the forum but I suspect that actually getting it set up and ready to launch will mean we will be asking a lot of questions.....!

Regards

Chris Cobb
235/48 Tarakihi
Graham Ebb
2007-11-29T15:57:58Z
Chris,

Did you get the manual that Parkers produce for each boat. The last owner should have passed it on to you. They are full of good information about rigging / mast raising etc. Some good winter reading, full of useful tips like, allowing the wheel bearings to cool after a long journey, before lunching. Other wise the cooling effect of the water creates a vacuum inside the bearing and draws in water past the seals.

Happy reading

Graham Ebb
235 / 25 Blue Jazz
2007-11-30T12:15:24Z
Hi Chris - welcome to Forum!

Don't worry about pre-launch questions - we are happy to answer, I asked loads of questions!

And very impressed that you always LUNCH before launching Graham!!!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
ChrisC
2007-12-04T15:07:18Z

Guys,

Thanks for the comments - I have indeed got the "manual" and have been avidly reading... roll on the spring!

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
PaulBurton
2007-12-25T18:46:24Z
Guess what I got for Christmas !!!!!!!

A new Kemp chute and snuffer bag.....she does love me...

I now need some extra bits.....sheets, blocks etc.

Anyone got any help with these....size length etc..

Happy Christmas.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-12-25T21:09:56Z
Happy Christmas Paul – and I am sure you will love your present.

I will double check this tomorrow but I think! :

2 x 6 mm sheets of about 12m length (the manual says twice the length of the boat but I seem to have a lot to spare). Each with a ratchet block (I think size 2) at the stern.

1 x 5 mm x 12m luff clew downhaul rope. The original block with my boat was a simple swivel shackle but the manual specifies a snap shackle – which I would strongly endorse if you are going to use the sail in stronger winds because you can clip it on/off much more quickly and easily as you bounce around on the foredeck.

The details of the snuffer halyard (not specified in the manual) escape me after a decent bottle of wine but I seem to recall it is an 8mm endless rope slightly more than twice the length of the mast. A simple block at the top for it to run through.

If you do not have the manual page I can scan it for you.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
PaulBurton
2007-12-26T20:40:15Z
Thanks David.

I have used a snuffer on my last boat so I think that is okay, it already has the rope attached.

So I need
2 ratchet blocks for the 6mm sheets,
24m of 6mm rope for the sheets,
12m or 5mm rope for the clew down haul with a snap shackle on the end.

How does the clew down haul attach to the pole end and how do you make it off. ????

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-12-27T16:11:00Z
Attach the snap shackle to the eye loop on the pole. Take the clew downhaul through this block and back along the deck to (in my case) a cleat on the coachroof - or any convenient tie-off point. It does not seem to catch on anything.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
PaulBurton
2007-12-30T15:42:10Z
Tried it today at Rutland water....It seems to be to small....

I have emailed Kemps to see what they think....

What do you guys think.

UserPostedImage

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-12-30T20:04:33Z
Hello Paul

I am pretty sure my sail is a bit larger than yours. It certainly flies higher although the tack is normally also a little higher than yours appears to be in the picture.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
Nick Bett
2008-01-03T15:37:38Z
Paul,

The sail should go to the sheeve at the top of the mast.It looks as if the sail you have is sized to work from a spinnaker pole and not the 235 bowsprit.

I have all the spinnaker bits from "Last Orders" in a bag.Do you want to try them for size before you buy new gear.

My set up is better than the standard arrangement and worth a look.
I can bring it to Whitwell.

Nick Bett
PaulBurton
2008-01-04T18:27:09Z
It does look in the picture like a symetricsal spinnaker, but the corners are marked tack, head and clew. I have been away at center parcs and just got in...

Nick, that would be really good you could show me how it all worked.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362