Andy G
  • Andy G
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2011-11-16T22:48:16Z
Hi

I'm going to be fitting a tiller pilot over the winter and having read the previous threads I think that Jago, being one of the early P235's (No. 4), doesn't have the reinforcement under the port coaming but just to be sure what does the reinforcement look like?

Working on the assumption that it will need reinforcing I was going to fit a suitable wooden backing pad but would like to know what other owners have used for fixing the wood in place (Expoxy, resin etc)?

Also, has anyone fitted a tiller pilot to any other location other than the port side coaming?

Many thanks for your suggestions
Andy

Jago
Parker 235/04

Jago
Parker 235/04
James Hamilton
2011-11-17T12:05:02Z
Hi, I have #29, and fitted a Tiller pilot myself some time ago. When I drilled the hole I cannot remember noticing any wood, and there seemed to be quite a thickness of glass fibre, so I did not bother with any reinforcement. I haven't noticed any cracking since. This is about 5-6 years ago so my memory might not be perfect.

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 
John Edwards
2011-11-17T14:58:46Z
Hi Andy,

Mine (No 7) has a tiller pilot, the fitting for which is on the starboard side; no idea when it was fitted but 'looks professional’.

Not sure exactly where you plan to fit, but mine as actually on the seat rather than the coaming – unless we are talking about the same place.

I won’t be able to get to the boat until next week at the earliest but if you would like I can take some pics for you

Regards

John
Diamond/07
John
235/07 Diamond
Andy G
  • Andy G
2011-11-17T22:35:38Z
Hi

Thanks for the feedback to date.

James, when you fitted your tiller pilot did you have any measurements from Parker on where you were advised to drill? Looking at the coaming it does look quiet thick but I'm not sure at what point the port side became re-enforced for tiller pilot fitment.

John, if it's not too much trouble I would be interested in some photos. It appears the standard sighting for the pin is in the Port side coaming but I see no reason why it can't be mounted on the seat. This would give the tiller pilot a bit of protection from the elements, less exposed to being knocked and would save money as I may not have to purchase any push rod or pedestal extensions.

Regards
Andy

Jago
Parker 235/04

Jago
Parker 235/04
Bob
  • Bob
  • Advanced Member
2011-11-21T19:21:35Z
The socket for the tiller pilot was fitted directly into the top of the portside coaming at right angles to and 18" from the tiller pivot point, later boats with the higher tiller had a RAYMARINE PEDESTAL SOCKET (89MM)and all boats had a RAYMARINE ST 1000 PUSHROD EXTENSION 5" there is a 4" approx wooden block moulded into the coaming at this point.
John Edwards
2011-11-23T16:45:47Z
Hi Andy,

I have tried to attach some pics but it is proving too difficult – limited patience. I will email them to you; I think they are self-explanatory but if you need clarification, please let me know.

Good luck with the installation

John
Diamond/07
John
235/07 Diamond
Andy G
  • Andy G
2011-11-29T13:12:48Z
Hi John

I don't think the email function works direct from the forum and would appriciate it if you could send the pictures to gleadlea atgmaildotcom

Thanks
Andy
Jago
Parker 235/04
GeoffTurner
2011-11-30T10:49:22Z
You're right - the email function in this forum wasn't working...

It is now!

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn
James Hamilton
2011-12-19T20:44:58Z
I left about 12 inches between the end of the tiller and the autopilot, with the tiller pilot at right angles to that[img][http://freespace.virgin.net/james.hamilton/boats/tillerSandyLady.JPG]

Andy G
  • Andy G
2011-12-23T10:14:00Z
Hi James

Thank you for the pictures. Where did you site the outer end of the auto pilot and do you have any issues with the autopilot fitting on the tiller fouling with the outboard (I have an early P235 with a straight tiller)?

Merry Christmas
Andy

Jago
Parker 235/04

Jago
Parker 235/04
James Hamilton
2011-12-31T13:41:30Z
quote:
Originally posted by Andy G

Hi

James, when you fitted your tiller pilot did you have any measurements from Parker on where you were advised to drill? Looking at the coaming it does look quiet thick but I'm not sure at what point the port side became re-enforced for tiller pilot fitment.

J

I am afraid I chose the position based on what seemed best for the autopilot, (it didn't occur to me that there might be a special re-inforced position). I drilled the hole for the socket and it looked plenty thick enough to me so just installed directly there.

James Hamilton
2011-12-31T13:51:15Z
quote:
Originally posted by Andy G

Where did you site the outer end of the auto pilot and do you have any issues with the autopilot fitting on the tiller fouling with the outboard (I have an early P235 with a straight tiller)?

Andy, Hi

The outer end was on the coming so that the tiller pilot was at right angles to the tiller at straight ahead. The tiller does not foul the engine at rest, but if you lean on it (eg when going straight ahead and steering by the seat of your pants) then you do foul.. so there are some shallow scratch marks on top of the cowling. I also have an early 235 with a straight tiller. I considered mounting the rod above the tiller but thought that the pilot would then point upwards too much (unless I built a plinth at the other end which I wasn't confident in doing). As it is the pilot is horizontal and at right angles to the tiller. I presumed if you placed it too near the end of the tiller you might run out of stroke.

Happy new year's sailing

James Hamilton