Stephen Godber
2007-03-18T13:39:37Z
My 235 has been supplied with the 'standard' 7 kilo plough anchor.

Wherever I look in chandlers' catalogues they suggest something larger for a 23' boat, and as I have a friend looking for a new anchor for his 18' boat I am considering selling him this new unused one and upgrading to a larger one for my 235.

My question is this: Does everyone find the standard 7kg anchor supplied adequate - I am sailing off the Western Isles, although don't imagine many nights at anchor this year, and if anchoring I will choose sheltered spots. Nevertheless I wonder if I should "go up a size" while I can...say a 9kg or 12kg anchor? Any thoughts?[?]
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Don Harvey
2007-03-18T14:21:40Z
Stephen

To my mind, the main use of an anchor is to secure that scope of your anchor cable/chain that is lying on the seabed as it is the friction of these on the bottom that stops the boat from drifting. I think that if you have any doubt about the ability of your anchor and cable to secure your boat, then it's my view that you would be better served by increasing the amount of chain used, or moving to chain overall.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
david boyle
2007-03-18T14:43:29Z
Stephen
I did query this when I purchased my boat last september,Bill said
they had not any problems.
But as Don says moving to all chain would give you peace of mind.

Be Be 235/49
Be Be 235/49
James Hamilton
2007-03-18T22:41:05Z
I have had a plough anchor in the past (Scotland) but found it only worked when anything would work, i.e mud or sand. It also has the disadvantage that when the tide turns it tends to screw out. On the other hand I was very impressed with the holding power of the Danforth kedge that came with my last boat (A Jaguar 21), a tiny plate had great holding power. I went for a 20 or 25lb Brittany Anchor (not sure which). It fits in the anchor locker, and as it folds flat, also in the little compartment under the double berth. I therefore have the same as a kedge. They're quite cheap from Compass.

http://freespace.virgin..../sailing_solent_2005.jpg 
Stephen Godber
2007-03-19T11:33:34Z
Thanks all - I take the point ref. chain. I'll see how it goes, I see (James) that the 10 kilo Danforth is £45 from Compass, so if I can sell my unused 7 one for £30 I'll get a new one one. Otherwise I'll try it and see how it goes over this first season. I know 'Gentoo' had a FORTRESS anchor which was well rated.
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Don Harvey
2007-03-19T11:37:47Z
Stephen et al

If you want terrific holding power yet want to save weight on board - I should look at the Fortress anchor. They weigh only a few pounds but look at the Testimonials and Myths 'Myth: The heavier the anchor, the better.....' on this page.

http://www.fortressanchors.com/ 

I have one of these as a spare/extra/kedge, however I know of a 275 owner that uses one as his main anchor.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
Graeme
2007-03-19T12:26:20Z
You're quite correct Stephen Gentoo does have a fortress FX-11, which holds well and sets quickly. I have relegated it to a kedge however and added a 6kg delta anchor with 20m of chain to allow me to anchor in deeper water and overnight with more confidence. I plan to spend time around your area (West coast) this year or next. I read reports of the fortress failing to reset when the tide swings round.

Graeme Parker "Gentoo"
Stephen Godber
2007-03-19T12:39:17Z
Thanks Graeme - on that basis I think I'll stick with what came with the boat and maybe initially invest in more chain as stage one, if required....seems to be so much choice and so it will be best to suck it and see what works![8D]
Stephen 235/51 Exodus
Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
James Hamilton
2007-03-20T12:29:27Z
Stephen

I was refering to what www.Compass24.com  now call the 'flat anchor'. The Danforth is just as good an anchor if not better, but I was worried the bars sticking out would make it marginal for getting in the anchor locker.

Had no problems with mine, but cann't say its been greatly tested. Even without the "Danforth" bars it is quite a tight fit into the anchor locker. Not sure about chain being the main holding source, might be in rocky bottoms where it is difficult to get the anchor bedded in, but if you are relying on the chain drag it is not going to be very good, you need a good anchor. What chain does is help make the pull more horizontal at the anchor, so the more chain the better if you can manage the weight (pulling up in deep water can be a bit of a chore).

http://freespace.virgin..../sailing_solent_2005.jpg 
PaulBurton
2007-06-09T11:11:12Z
So how are people getting on with anchors ???

Mines drags unless I have all 6m chain and 20m warp out...in 2m of water. with 3 knots of tide..

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graeme
2007-06-10T08:56:15Z
I have found my 6kg delta sets quickly and holds well. So far I've only anchored in up to 20 knots wind. Holding in the River Forth estuary is mainly sand/mud. I do use 20m of 6mm chain though. Initially I had 8mm chain but too much weight in the bow led to lee helm at low angles of heel, so back to 6mm chain which weighs half as much.

Regards,

Graeme

P235, Gentoo
PaulBurton
2007-06-12T14:41:34Z

I'm going to increase my chain....is it better to have say 15m of 6mm or 10m of 8mm.

Or how about I buy 6m of 8mm chain, attach that to the anchor, then join the new 8mm to my existing 6mm.

If I'm still have problems then I will change anchor. Problably to a Delta, I have heard nothing but good things.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
James Hamilton
2007-06-12T14:42:08Z
Anchored in Newtown Creek (soft mud, so not much of a test) in a force 6-7, no problem with the brittany, however not recommended by http://www.bluemoment.com/choosingananchor.html , and http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/tec...o/anchor_size_guide.htm   recommends a 10kg which is one of the heaviest for our size of boat, so guess the delta might be a better alternative. However https://www.svb.de/html/Buegel-Anchors.html  has a good word for the brittany.

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 
Graeme
2007-06-12T18:08:22Z
Hi Paul,

I'd stick with 6mm chain 8mm is twice as heavy and my wife nearly mutinied after hauling 8mm chain in a few times, she's a lot happier with the 6mm[;)]

(I never told her I only changed down to 6mm to eliminate the lee helm!)

Graeme
PaulBurton
2007-06-18T18:21:53Z
Done a deal with someone who needs a bit of electrical work on his boat.

Getting 20m 6mm chain and a new 6kg Delta....

My standard set up let go several times at the weekend....if different conditions....

We as found if you lift the keel and rudder and sit in wind over tide. You can sit in the cockpit and get a 360 degree view with out moving your neck.....maybe one reason while the anchor didn't hold that time.

Will keep you informed on the new Delta.....

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-07-01T11:39:40Z
Got my new anchor...and it fits in the locker.
On the old 7kg Plough the shank is heavier than the plough bit. There is no wieght in the nose.
But on the new Delta 6kg the shank is very light and most of the wieght is in the nose of the plough.

Have now got 20m of 6mm chain as well. Will let you all know how it goes...
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-07-16T07:47:43Z
The Delta worked a treat. Used in twice in Torbay. Had much more faith in it.

We also anchored just off Goodrington sands (about 2 foot of water, with a strong off shore wind.

We took the dinghy ashore (wife didn't want to get her legs wet) and I took a 2kg bruce/claw anchor ashore tied to the boat. about 30m warp and 6m 6mm chain. I found the 2kg was also holding the boat and not dragging, the delta chain was slack. I was really surprised that the little 2kg anchor held the boat in the strong wind (force 4/5)

Anyone want to buy cheap rubbish plough anchor ????

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-09-04T16:48:23Z
Paul

Are you still satisfied with your Delta and the 6mm chain? I need a better anchor than the standard and I am fed up lifting (and carrying forward) the 14 Kg CQR I have been using temporarily. I must say it does work though!!

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
PaulBurton
2007-09-04T17:13:17Z
Yes....very happy with the Delta.....it just fits in the locker...

Don't know if it is the extra chain or the anchor...or both..

I also found the chain supplied was very much lighter duty than the 6mm chain I bought.

We spent a night at anchor a couple of weeks ago...the same week we spent quiet a few days anchored off beachers for full days. Not once did it drag or need resetting.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-09-04T17:29:23Z
Thanks Paul, will give one a try. In this marina-less north (long may it remain so!) I anchor overnight quite a lot. It is pretty hard to get a decent night's sleep unless you have complete confidence in the anchor.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa